Renaissance market square
Tarnow has preserved the medieval urban layout of its Old Town. Its focal point is the market square lined with old houses in the middle of which stands the Gothic-Renaissance town hall. Just off the market square are the late- Gothic cathedral which shelters impressive wall tombs, the tower (16th c.), and the bimah – the only remaining fragment of the 18th century synagogue destroyed by the Nazis in 1940.
The Jewish cemetery contains approx. 3,000 tombstones. Interesting ethnographic and diocesan museums.
Tarnow Regional Center for Tourism Coordination and Services Tarnow, Rynek 7, tel. +(48-14) 627 87 35, 627 87 36; www.turystyka.tarnow.pl