Poland’s oldest town
Presumably the oldest Polish town, Kalisz was mentioned as Kalisia by Claudius Ptolemy in his renown Geography of the 2nd century AD.
Important cultural centre. Of its many historical buildings, the most important is the early baroque Church of SS Stanislas and Adalbert.
The theatre built in 1922-36 belongs to a large group of neoclassical buildings from the 19th/20th centuries
The present day suburb of Zawodzie has an archaeological reserve with traces of an old stronghold (9th c.) and of early medieval cemeteries.
Tourist Information Center Kalisz, ul. Garbarska 2, tel./fax +(48-62) 264 21 84; www.kalisz.pl